Home > Corporate Governance > Environmental Policy
Policy on Safety, Health And Environment (SHE)
ARM is committed to providing a safe and a healthy workplace for all of its employees and business partners who are visiting our premises in connection with operations. It is the policy of the Company to carry on its business activities in a manner consistent with sound health, safety, and environmental management principles and practices and to comply with the relevant provisions of the laws relating to health, safety and environment of the countries where it operates.
Further, the company is also committed to minimising the impact of our operations and products on environment through the adoption of sustainable practices and continuous improvement in environmental performance.
The Policy has been designed with a view to achieve the following broad objectives:
- Protection of Environment
To improve and maintain the quality of environment in partnership with the communities of the localities where the company carry on its business operations.
- Controlling Pollution of the Environment
To ensure that its operations do not pollute the air and water of the adjoining areas where it operates
- Providing Safety of the Employees
To provide a safe and secured environment to all its employees and other related parties when they are in the premises of the company in connection with the employment or business.
- Providing Good Working Condition
To create and provide a congenial atmosphere in the workplace to enhance their potential capabilities is one of the main objectives the Policy. To achieve this objective, the company has prescribed minimum facilities for its employees in the HR Policy and the same are revised from time to time
- Creating Awareness on SHE
To create awareness, impart training and encourage all employees, customers and other stakeholders to join the Company in maintaining health, safety and environment.
Process for implementation of SHE Policy
- The SHE Committee consisting of members from all the functions shall look after the management of the Safety, Health and Environment of the workplace. The Committee members shall regularly meet to deliberate and discuss various issues of SHE.
- The SHE Committee shall also make plan and devise suitable mechanisms for implementation of the SHE measures at the workplaces as decided by the management from time to time.
- Periodic workshop/ seminar shall be conducted to discuss and share the information on the actual/ potential threats on SHE and decide measures to be adopted to combat the threats.
- Leaflets will be distributed amongst the employees or Posters will be pasted on conspicuous locations in the Plants/ Factories to create awareness amongst employees on the importance of compliance with SHE measures.
- Leaflets and posters shall be written in both local and English language to make it understandable by all. The contents of the leaflets/ posters shall also be written in simple language.
- Supervisors and managers shall provide information to and share experience with the fellow-workers, particularly, the new and those who are exposed to hazardous operations. The information will include nature of hazards and methods of managing those hazards.
- The SHE Officer shall continuously assess the risk of hazardous operations and suggest the measures including the type of Personal Protective Equipments to be used.
- The SHE Office will provide general training to all employees on the safety measures and special training to the employees engaged in Hazardous operations.
- 'SHE Awareness Week’ shall be observed once in a year to emphasize the importance of SHE measures
Procedures for implementation of the Policy
- Define SHE procedures in exhaustive manner for all operations and implement the same across the Company;
- Adopt both local and international standards / benchmarks in the procedures;
- Identify risky/ hazardous processes or operations which are prone to cause accidents, illness or environmental harm and prescribe protection measures to handle such operations;
- Provide adequate training and resources to the employees to make SHE systems effective and efficient;
- Install a monitoring, inspection and auditing systems to ensure effectiveness of SHE procedures;
- Provide adequate facilities in the workplace such as adequate light in the workplace, supply of drinking water, maintenance of neatness and cleanliness, change room for change of dresses, rest rooms for rest and recreation, adequate toilets and sanitation facilities, cress for children, Prayer room, canteen and medical facilities, etc.;
- Provide adequate security at the workplace and ensure that no unauthorized persons are allowed to enter the premises of the Company;
- Ensure that all employees follow the company’s prescribed procedures in handling the hazardous operations and uses appropriate personal protective equipment (such as Uniform, Safety Shoe, Hand Gloves, Masks, Helmet, etc ) as required by particular job function;
- Encasing the dangerous part of the operation process and marking dangerous equipments/ processes with the word of warning/ caution;
- Ensure that all dangerous materials like explosives and other chemicals are stored in a safe and distant place as per the norms of the manufacturer and regulatory authority;
- Ensure that smokes, gasses and dusts are not emitted from the operations beyond acceptable limits and pollute the air;
- Ensure that chemicals and other wastes generated from production process do not directly enter into any public well, stream or river before recycling and disposed of as per norms of the environment authority;
- Level of sounds and noises shall be kept within the limit (i.e. decibel) prescribed by the environment authority;
- Undertake research and development activities to conserve energy while achieving desired productivity;
- To encourage suppliers and contractors to behave in a responsible manner and to maintain sound environmental practices and engage such contractors who aspire to follow the same SHE practices;
- Contractors and sub-contractors working at ARM locations must supply their own personal protective equipment and be responsible for training of their employees;
- Organize various programs to create awareness amongst public and encourage them to actively participate in the program to maintain health, safety and environment in the locality.
- Ensure that all employees follow the safety rules and procedures, use safety equipments provided to them and adhere to environmental norms. They will also take proper care of the plant and equipment and protect them from misuse;
- To respond to the concerns of local communities and other interested parties on environmental issues and to respect the general environment and wildlife habitats in and around our sites
- Establish the rewarding system to encourage employees to follow the SHE norms and procedures
- Comply with the relevant provisions of the laws relating to Safety, Health and Environment.
Review of The SHE Policy
The SHE Committee shall review the Policy at least once in a year and recommend the changes to be incorporated in the policy to meet the above objectives of the policy and comply with relevant provisions of the Laws and regulations relating to Health, Safety, and Environment. However, all such changes shall be implemented with the approval of the Managing Director.
Move to Top